Thursday, January 3, 2013

To take in more than you can handle

Once you see something, or hear something, you can't erase it from your memory. Our brains are funny like that. They hold on to every minute thing that it has been exposed to. We may not always be aware of everything that we have trapped away in our brain, but everything is in there somewhere.  Lingering around. Trying our very being for everything it is. 

Knocking us down and kicking us when we least expect it.

How do we overcome things that we don't even know how to wrap our understanding around it?

I am sitting here almost lifeless from knowledge that I didn't want, and now that I have it, I don't know how to pick up and carry on the way that I did before.

I keep thinking that it was a dream, but when I wake up, I am hit with that same sick feeling in my stomach that reminds me that sometimes the truth hits us like a ton of bricks, and we will never be the same again.

I don't know how to swallow this.

I don't know how to accept the ugliness of the truth that I really already knew.

Just hope that I find a way to move past this, and I remember the saying, "This too shall pass."

No comments: